What Do I Do If I Have A Sewer Back-Up?
Call Concord General Services at 603-228-2737 and ask for the Sewer Systems Supervisor to check past City records to determine if there is a history of problems with the sewer service in that location. If there is a past history of issues on City property, our crew will investigate. If the issue is on private property, a plumber must be called. An accessible clean-out is necessary for our equipment to get into the sewer line, otherwise a plumber will have to be called to open the line in the basement. Our sewer crew will not alter plumbing on private property.

Show All Answers

1. Where Do I Dump Wastewater From My Camper/RV?
2. How Do I Add A New Sewer Service?
3. What Do I Do If I Have A Sewer Back-Up?