Digitized Concord History
Visit the Concord Room at the Concord Public Library for more information.
These three major histories of Concord and Penacook have been digitized by the Concord Public Library:
- The History of Concord, From Its First Grant in 1725 To The Organization Of The City Government in 1853, With a History Of The Ancient Penacooks, by Nathaniel Bouton, 1856.
- History of Concord New Hampshire From the Original Grant in Seventeen Hundred and Twenty-Five to the Opening of the Twentieth Century, Volume 1 and 2, by James O. Lyford, 1903.
- The History of Penacook, N. H., From Its First Settlement in 1734 Up To 1900, by David Arthur Brown, 1902.
The following unpublished manuscript material has also been digitized full-text:
- A Capital for New Hampshire, by Grace P. Amsden. - An account of life in Concord through the middle part of the 20th century. This 3-volume manuscript tells stories of buildings related to Count and Countess Rumford, Franklin Pierce, Robert Rogers, Isaac Hill, and other Concord notables. The original manuscript, with photographs, is available at the Tuck Library of the New Hampshire Historical Society
- Photographs from the Amsden manuscript have also been digitized, and are indexed by chapter and page number.
- Materials for a History of White's Opera House, by Elwin L. Page. Written to document the history of the Opera House and the various actors and speakers who performed in Concord. The information was compiled from various news reports in the newspaper and Judge Page's memories.
- A Century and a Third of Amateur Dramatics in Concord, by Page.
Other historical material, made available online by the Concord Public Library:
- Historical City Reports
- Celebrating 150 Years: Concord Public Library, by Virginia Babczak, 2006
- South East View of Concord dated 1860; lithograph by Henry P. Moore
- Luti's Boys: a history of Boy's Cross-Country at Concord High during the Bill Luti era, 1957-1981, by Bob Estabrook, 2015.
- The History of the Concord Sunset Baseball League from 1950-1992 by Paul R. Eastman, 2015
(Street scene looking at the Kimball-Jenkins Estate, donated by John Simonella)