Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
What is Diversity, Equity and Inclusion?
Diversity: Diversity refers to all aspects of human difference, social identities, and social group differences, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual identity, socio-economic status, language, culture, national origin, religion/spirituality, age, (dis)ability, and military/veteran status, political perspective, and associational preferences.
Equity: Equity refers to fair and just practices and policies that ensure all community members can thrive. Equity is different than equality in that equality implies treating everyone as if their experiences are exactly the same. Being equitable means acknowledging and addressing structural inequalities — historic and current — that advantage some and disadvantage others. Equal treatment results in equity only if everyone starts with equal access to opportunities.
Inclusion: Inclusion is about intentionally bringing people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives into conversations and decision-making processes. An organization that is inclusive acknowledges its vulnerability in making equitable and just decisions without the participation of its diverse constituents, actively seeks to invite and include the voices of those who have been historically and systemically excluded and creates ongoing pathways to ensure that any individual or group can feel welcomed, respected, and fully participate in all aspects of the organization and community.
In July 2016, the City of Concord passed a resolution affirming Concord, NH as a welcoming city and joining the Welcoming America Initiative to help unite our community and ensure that all are welcome in Concord.
Highlights of the resolution include:
- Fostering a welcoming environment for all individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity or place of origin, enhances Concord's cultural fabric, economic growth, global competitiveness and overall prosperity for current and future generations
- Concord is committed to continue to build a welcoming and neighborly atmosphere in our community where all people are welcome, accepted and integrated
- Community efforts that promote understanding and collaboration between long-time residents and foreign-born community members are crucial to encouraging and ensuring a welcoming environment
- Concord encourages its business leaders, civic groups, other government agencies, community institutions, and residents to join in a community-wide effort to expand prosperity and inclusion for all
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice & Belonging Committee
The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice and Belonging Committee was established in spring 2023 to create and sustain an inclusive process for public engagement so all Concord residents feel a sense of belonging and can authentically participate in the decision-making processes that impact their lives. Learn more about the DEIJB Committee.
Notice of Non-Discrimination in Employment Practices
The City of Concord does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, national/ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender or disability in its programs, activities and employment practices. This statement is a reflection of the City of Concord and refers to, but is not limited to, the provisions of the following laws:
- Titles IV, VI and VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - race color, national origin
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- The Age Discrimination Act of 1975
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) - disability
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) - disability
- NH Law against discrimination (RSA 354-A)
Learn more about our online accessibility efforts.
The DEI Calendar is a resource to expand appreciation and awareness of the variety of occasions that may be observed by members of our community.
This calendar is not comprehensive and will be updated to reflect the most accurate and current information. If you would like to recommend an occasion to be added to this calendar, please contact email@example.com.